Procedure to Apply For a License to Carry a Concealed Firearm
Applicants must apply in person at the sheriff’s office. The Washington County Sheriff’s office does issue license to carry permits for out of state residents.
The following items are required to apply:
- Current Pennsylvania drivers license or Pennsylvania photo ID card
- Address shown must be in Washington County
- The fee is $20 for a five year license
- CASH ONLY, no debit cards, credit cards, or checks are accepted
- The names, addresses, and telephone numbers of two persons to write on the application as references
- Those referenced must not be related to you
- If you are NOT a US Citizen you will need to bring copies of the last 3 consecutive months of a utility bill, bank statement, etc that is in the applicant’s name with the address that matches the applicant’s drivers license. It must be your current address where you reside.
Section 6109 Licenses
(e) Issuance of license
- (1) A license to carry a firearm shall be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle and shall be issued if, after an investigation not to exceed 45 days, it appears that the applicant is an individual concerning whom no good cause exists to deny the license. A license shall not be issued to any of the following:[...]
- (ix) A resident of another state who does not possess a current license or permit or similar document to carry a firearm issued by that state if a license is provided for by the laws of that state, as published annually in the Federal Register by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms of the Department of the Treasury under 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(19) (relating to definitions).
- Applications are accepted Monday-Friday, 9 AM - 3:45 PM
(Please be advised that your social security number will not appear on the license.)
- Renewal may be made 60 days prior to the expiration of the license.
- Must have a current Pennsylvania Drivers License or Pennsylvania Photo ID Card, Address shown must be in Washington County.
- The fee is $ 20.00 for a five year renewal license - CASH ONLY. No debit cards, credit cards or checks are accepted.
- The license will be dated the day you come in to renew.
Information on Carrying Firearms
Information on carrying firearms can be found on the PA State Police Web site
Firearm Reciprocity Agreements
For information on states providing mutual recognition of each states license to carry a firearm can be found on the Attorney General Web site , click on Crime, then click on Firearms Reciprocity.
Be sure to check with local authorities outside your home state for a complete listing of restrictions on carrying concealed in that state. Many states restrict carrying in bars, restaurants (where alcohol is served), establishments where packaged alcohol is sold, schools, colleges, universities, churches, parks, sporting events, correctional facilities, courthouses, federal and state government offices/buildings, banks, airport terminals, police stations, polling places, any posted private property restricting the carrying of concealed firearms, ect.
In addition to state restrictions, federal law prohibits carrying on military bases, in national parks, and in the sterile areas of airports. National forests follow laws of the state wherein the forest is located.